Monday, October 21, 2013

"So, like a big boy job?"

Today was my first day at my service placement, and it was awesome.

The whole point of the trip is the service placements. We are working in community groups to get hands on experience and learn from the local people who experienced the issues first hand. Most placements relate to the person's major, and if it doesn't, then they are at least working with people who can show them around the city.

My placement (I don't know if I said yet, but oh well) is at the Pat Finucane Centre, a human rights centre that is focused on uncovering the questionable tactics used during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. My job (I don't think I can be that specific with what I am doing...I should probably figure out what I can and can't tell people) is to sort through declassified documents, read them and tag keywords in them so it makes it easier to search the database. For the most part, the documents are pretty interesting to read, but some are really confusing.

It came time to leave and I asked the one lady which bus to take, and she looked over at me and said "You don't. Most people walk to the Diamond at this time of day." Oh. Well, there's that.

To be honest, I'm glad I have to walk. It's only around 15 minutes to do. I have to walk down this big hill and I come right down through the Bogside, right next next to the mural of the girl that got shot walking home from school (right by the "You are now entering Free Derry" sign)

I don't know anything else from the story behind the Mural yet. We haven't done our Bogside Mural Tour around (London)Derry yet. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, Google "Bogside Murals Northern Ireland". You won't regret it.

Anyway, I have to cross the street and go back up the hill (towards St. Columb's Cathedral). First off, it's actually kind of intimidating to walk towards it because this huge wall barricades you out (Hence, the Walled City. I think it was a fort at one time). On the wall there is graffiti, including "IRA" and "R.I.P. [name here]". Add in the steep hill, and its a little intimidating.

But the view from the top of this hill, standing in front of the wall, overlooking the Bogside, was breathtaking. I know I've said that multiple times so far in this story, but there is just something about the Irish landscape that keeps taking my breath away. This view...I forgot that my legs were starting to get tired. I forgot that it was cold and dreary and lightly raining. For a minute, all I could think about was the beautiful scenery of the Irish hills and the town down below. For a minute I was reminded of driving through the mountains back home, looking up and admiring the colors and the trees and the mountains themselves.

Looking out over the Bogside made the walk worth it.

And the Best Part?

I get to do it everyday that I am in Ireland.





No comments:

Post a Comment