Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Books and readings and such

So, just a little more background info leading up to the trip.

Here's all the books that I had to read for the trip in my classes. Not that I'm assuming you're going to go out and read them, but I figured I'd let ya'll know where I might be coming from with some of the stuff I'm going to be writing. 

Without further ado:

Literature works
Northern Ireland
                    “The Tain,” trans. Thomas Kinsella 
          “Reading in the Dark”  by Seamus Deane
                     Running” by John Connery
                     “Everything in this Country Must” by Colum McCann
                     “As the Beast Sleeps” by Gary Mitchell 
                    “Loyal Women”  by Gary Mitchell                     
South Africa
        “Outa Karel’s Stories:  South African Folk Tales” by Sanni Metelerkamp
                   “My Children!  My Africa!”  By Athol Fugard
               “The Train Driver and Other Plays” by Athol Fugard 
                   “July’s People” by Nadine Gordimer 
                     “Ways of Dying”  by Zakes Mda  

History works
Northern Ireland
        “Northern Ireland: The Reluctant Peace” by Fearghal Cochrane      
         “That’s That: A Memoir” by Colin Broderick
“Setting the Truth Free”  by Julieanne Campbell
South Africa
“After Mandela: The Struggle for Freedom” by Douglas Foster
       “Growing up in the New South Africa” by Rachel Bray
"Ubuntu” by Mark Mathabane


     I still have yet to read "Ubuntu" or "Setting the Truth Free", (they're assigned for minimester B), but I have been recommended to read the "Setting the Truth Free" book before I start working with the Pat Finucane Center because it goes in line with the work I'll be doing. So really, that means I'm going to read it on the planes.
    
    If you were looking to read maybe one them, I recommend The Train Driver by Athol Fugard. It's a quick read and is the one that probably had the most impact on me reading-wise. I don't want to spoil the play for anyone, but the way the characters interact with each other, as well as the final major epilogue from Roelf made the play really worth reading. I'd definitely recommend it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment