Monday, October 28, 2013

"Breathtaking....I have no words"

Well, before I start to talk about my weekend, I'm just going to leave a few (okay, it's a list) of random thoughts that don't really fit in anywhere, but I want to say.

1) We went to see the play Derry 24. It's about....I actually have no idea. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Not even trying to sugarcoat it. There were puppets, and random people, and t.v. screens. It was confusing. And even Dr. O, the literature professor, came out at the end and had no idea what just happened.
[On a side note: I think it was about a woman who lost her husband during the Troubles and just couldn't cope with life. The final scene (Which was surprisingly really powerful considering the rest of the play and the fact that there was a puppet petting the lead actress during the monologue) I think was her going to a riverside and talking to her husband, seeing him in the water, and killing herself to be with him. Again, I have no idea what actually happened, but that's my guess.]
2) I have finally seen a stereotypical cow. I kept seeing brown cows, and black cows, and surprisingly white cows, but never a black and white cow. Check that off the list of things to see.
3) Same with sheep.
4)I've heard more American music than Irish music here.
5) And everyone here dances like the "white boy who can't dance" in America.
6) Which is fine, because that's how I dance.
7) Irish Weather is more unpredictable than Ohio weather. Let's just say I don't even check the weather and I go with "Damp, Dreary, Colder, and it's gonna rain at some point."  I haven't been wrong yet.
8) I underestimated the rain here in Ireland. I figured "It rains all the time in Pittsburgh and Berea. I'll be fine." While it doesn't rain that hard often, there's almost always a consistent rain when it does. Which doesn't bode well that I only brought lightweight shoes.
9) I have never eaten so many sandwiches for meals in my life. But at least they're good.
10) I may have mentioned this before, but I am completely digging the European Lifestyle compared to the American Lifestyle. Relaxed v. Frantic. Relaxed wins.
11) I feel like people here genuinely care. If you ask them where something is at in a store, they won't tell you where it is. They'll walk you to it.
12) We met 2 other Americans from Swathmore College through Nick and Megan's Service Placement. So if I refer to Sara or Lauren, now you know who they are.
13) It's weird to look on Facebook or Twitter and see people back at BWU posting about things that are going on. I feel like I should be there, but at the same time that I shouldn't. It's a weird feeling. Is this what it feels like to be graduated and see someone still in school posting?
14) There is SOOOOO much to learn, and so little time to do it. The Pat Finucane Centre is legitimately the perfect service placement for me.
15) Finally Skyped my mom today. Kelcy and I decided that we're going to Vancouver this summer. Deal.

....And random thoughts complete.

So weekend story time, and this is definitely a weekend I may never forget.

Saturday I really didn't do anything except experience some local establishments with live music. Pretty standard thing to do. We laughed. We sang. We had fun.

Sunday was amazing.

A group of us (Taylor H., Devin, Robyn, and Myself, later joined by Luke) decided to go to the Giant's Causeway up in Ballycastle up in County Antrim. We took the train, which was only about 45 minutes, up to Coleraine, then took a bus up to the Causeway. It may have also been decided that a trip to Castlerock was in order just so we can go swimming. When in Ireland, right?

The only words I can use to describe the Giant's Causeway are these:
Breathtaking.
Legendary.
Speechless.
Pure Beauty.
Outdoor Sanctuary.

The landscape is incredible. Everywhere you looked was b-e-a-utiful. The Rope Bridge was the best part. Which is ironic....because I am terrified of heights. A rope bridge between two rocks, over raging water. Awesome.

But don't worry guys. Iceland is only 1281km away!

I know it seems like I am giving you the short-stick when I'm talking about the Causeway, but the truth is, no matter what I say can give it any justice. If I could even think of words to say. This place is unbelievable. You have to go if you are ever in Ireland.

And you have to stand out on the rocks in the water. It is the most serene thing in the world.

Changing subjects a little bit, Today was an interesting day at the Pat Finucane Centre.

Today was the (London)Derry book launch for the book "Lethal Allies". It was written by one of the workers in the Armagh Office, and it's all about British Government collusion with Irish paramilitary groups (namely the UDA). I skimmed through it a little while I was sitting there, and it seems pretty interesting.

But I got to sit around and sell the book today with Amie, one of the people I work with. We spent most of our time sitting there waiting for people to buy the book having a nice chat (besides lunch. Whatever that Chicken spear thing was was heaven sent). And she said the most mind-blowing thing today.

"Some people don't know about the Troubles. They don't learn Irish History in school. Some even grow up without knowing there is a different side of religion."

I'm sorry, what?

I can't imagine not growing up with American History. OR NOT KNOWING ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT PIECES OF MY COUNTRY'S HISTORY.

How do you know where you're going if you don't know where you came from? I'm a firm believer in the quote "Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it" (Thank you 7th grade history and Mr. Knor!) I seriously think that if people aren't educated about the Troubles, and if/when tension boils over again, mass violence is going to break out again.

It is still so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that something so beautiful is littered with a history of violence and destruction.

















No comments:

Post a Comment