Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Bottom of the World

Today was a great day. We did the Cape Point tour, which covered a variety of places during the day. Our way to Cape Point (which is the top of the Cape of Good Hope) was interesting.

We drove through Bo Kaap, the famous Malaysian Community here in Cape Town. I had never heard about it until I stopped in a little bookstore in Belfast, but apparently it's a must see when you come to Cape Town. But I think that's just because of the colorful houses.

We made a stop at Maiden's Cove, which was a small little beach, as well as the top of the mountain to Cape Point (but that was just because we overheated. No Big Deal). But naturally we got to the top of the mountain and had to go back down because the road to where we had to get to was closed due to a mudslide.

But the Cape of Good Hope...Breathtaking. I couldn't tell you which ocean was the Indian or which was the Atlantic, but the view was amazing. I ended up scaling the cliff with Megan (Relax. Neither of us fell in and had to be saved) which gave us the greatest of views.

I think that's what I love most about this trip: It's brought me back to who I am. For so long I've dealt with pointless bullshit (admittedly, some I brought on myself) that I lost a part of who I was. The part that appreciated the little things. The part that could sit on a cliff edge, stare out at the ocean, and be completely happy. To realize that that is me.

It would be unfair of me to end on that. We ended up at Boulders Beach, which was amazing. It's an animal sanctuary to a species known as the "Jackass". What type of animal is that you ask?

PENGUINS!!!!!

They're so freaking adorable! We couldn't play with them (sad day), but we got really close to them. At one point, Nick and I leaned down under the rail to get get some good pictures, and one of them snapped at Nick's camera. So that settled that: No touching.

We start our service placements tomorrow, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Yes, the Athlone Advice Center sounds really interesting, but I'm cautious. We're supposed to give legal advice to locals, but what happens if no one comes in?

Well, I guess there's only one way to find out: We just have to wait and see

No comments:

Post a Comment