Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"Guys....we're in Africa...."

Well, a four hour bus ride to Dublin, an hour and a half flight to London, and an eleven hour flight later, I can finally say I made it.

I'm sitting in South Africa.

Cape Town, from the very little I got to see on my trip to the house, has taken my breath away. The trees and flowers are gorgeous since they're in bloom, birds and wildlife are chip-chirping away, it's sunny, and of course, Table Mountain with her table cloth in the early hours of the day. But I think what really took my breath away was what most people would see as "bad".

We drove past Langa Township, one of the biggest townships in South Africa. I really don't want to pass any judgement on it yet (since we have a tour/walk through/something coming up in the next couple days), but my first glimpse broke my heart. The people living in the townships looked like they were living in an American Slum. Well, maybe that's too nice. 

Driving past, every house was a couple sheets of corrugated metal (rusted through on some of them) and a tarp for a roof. My first thought was that it reminded me of my service trip dealing with immigrants (most illegal) in Alabama when we visited the trailer parks. But worse.

When the SHAWCO driver pointed out the township, all 20ish of us went dead silent. For the first time in a month, we were all in a group and nothing was said. That reaction speaks volumes. I can't wait to actually visit/go into the township and experience it first hand.

Maybe that's the harsh reality I had to be welcomed to Cape Town with. This oasis, the sun-shining relief to dreary Northern Ireland, is dealing with major issues that are a result of the apartheid era. While the sun and beaches (that have penguins!) ring out to my vacation senses, this isn't a vacation. I'm here to get to know this culture in a way that very few people get the opportunity to.

Another issue I am going to have to deal with is the race issue. Now I'm not one to look at the color of one's skin, but it's a different feeling to be one of the few white people in the grocery store. Yes, there is a population of whites in South Africa, but it's clear that where we're staying that white's are the minority. And I've never experienced that before.

I made a bucket list on the plane (11 hours is a long time to kill) of things to accomplish before I leave in a few weeks:
1) Play with a Penguin
2) Pet/Play with a Giraffe, Cheetah, and Zebra
3) Climb Table Mountain. Multiple Times.
4) Make a difference somehow in the small piece of time that I'm here
5) Leave a part of me here. I want to become so attached that I leave a part of me here, much like I did in Northern Ireland.

Well, I think that's a good start for South Africa. I'm hoping Cape Town changes me just like (London)Derry has. I'm hoping that Cape Town leaves me with experiences that will last forever. 

Even though the set of experiences will be completely different, I think a major theme will prevail: Life-Changing.

"Nothing like I would expect, but everything I needed"



View from the House


No comments:

Post a Comment