Sunday, November 3, 2013

More

Going back to Baldwin Wallace is going to suck.

I know, that sounds really bad, but just hear me out.

I have about 10 days left in Northern Ireland before I have to say goodbye. Unless something happens, Northern Ireland has, among many things, shown me that I chose the right majors: Criminal Justice and Political Science (with a minor in Legal Studies, but who's keeping track?)

Working at the PFC has immersed me in issues that, while not relevant to me personally, are relevant to my fields of study (Does that make it relevant to me then? Hmm....). To be able to be immersed in civil rights, human rights, and criminality issues day in and day out has been one of the best parts of this trip. Getting hands-on experience, no matter that it's just sorting through documents or talking with my co-workers, is giving me an inside look at not only how the Troubles were in Northern Ireland, but how an Non-Governmental Organization and organizations of the like operate.

And it's going to suck re-adjusting from going to work (that's what I like to call it) and being immersed in these issues, to sitting in classes listening to people lecture at me.  As much as I am looking forward to all my classes (except that 7:45 AM Statistics class....), not doing hands-on learning everyday is going to be a rough transition.

But, more than that: I feel like I should be doing more. More than sitting in classes I need to take to receive a diploma. I should be doing something to help people. Doing something in my majors' field out in the real world.

I don't know if I can sit back and do nothing anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment