Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Final Saturday and Sunday

In exactly one week, I will be back on USA soil, making my way home to the East Coast to Cleveland and eventually Pittsburgh. My Study Abroad experience will be over.

I just can't right now.

There is not an ounce of being in my body that wants to go home, to go back to the life I left behind. To the dull continuum of school and work. Sure, I miss my family and friends and can't wait to see them, and sure, I miss taking courses related to Criminal Justice and Political Science, but I would be totally okay if this trip never ended.

I don't want to get sucked back into what my life was. I can't go back to that.

This trip has taught me so much that I can't even put it into words. About Me, About what my life could be.

But more on that later.

Saturday morning I woke up early to head back down to the Waterfront to get some Christmas/Hey, I went to South Africa/ Souvenir shopping done. We also finally found where the Harley Davidson Store was for Kuz (Now that's a great story for a different time).

We got back to the House around noon, with just enough time to set our bags down before Nombulelo arrived. As I mentioned before (or I haven't. Either way), Nombulelo is the head boss lady at my service placement, and she invited us over to her house for lunch on Saturday. Turns out that she lives right down the block from where we are staying.

I am so honored to know Nombulelo. She is one of the strongest women I have ever had the privilege of meeting. She sacrifices so much for so many others. She works at the Athlone Advice Center without a salary, just so people in the Athlone Community can be helped.

Hell, for too many times to count she has taken the time out of her work day to help my peers and I get acquainted with Athlone and South Africa. She is a spitting embodiment of Ubuntu in my eyes.

Sunday marks the start of December, and with it, World AIDS Day. South Africa has been greatly affected by HIV and AIDS (mainly due to the Thabo Mbeki Presidency and the incompetence of the then Minister of Health). What better way to celebrate World AIDS Day than a church experience.

We went to the Baptist Church in Langa Township, and let me tell you, that's how Church Services should go. Well, except the whole two and a half hour time frame. But everyone was singing and into the service. Now I'm not a "church" religion person, but that's the way to do it: Up and into the service, not sitting in a pew listening to the scripture.

I was really excited to finally get up to the top of Table Mountain today as well. For my whole time in Cape Town, all I wanted to do was get to the top of Table Mountain. And I was sooooo close!

Except the wind was "too bad", so they closed the cable car that would take us up to the top of one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

So. Much. Disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment